Saturday, October 11, 2008

Defining my Utopia


Utopia; a book that I have read, pondered, digested, analyzed, loved. The idealistic society; in the imagination of Sir Thomas More in 1516 as he poetically describes a fictional island somewhere, nowhere. Unrealistic then, unrealistic now, although impossible to achieve, can it be discovered, somehow, within a willing subject? Can I discover it within myself?

My Utopia, has a star shining day and night. Looking over me in my plight. My perfect place, my existence within the world, as it is, but not of the world.

Like More's Utopia, I dream of a place, a perfect place, a beautiful society. Where equality reigns, and poverty, pain, and misery are impossible. Society's evils, as we know them, do not exist. There are not wars, and jealousy is fiction. Where people live by the law of tolerance, and love. Where someone would be there to wipe a tear, before it landed upon the grass. Where an entire society stood to celebrate each other as opportunities and achievements were granted and earned. Where one did not feel as though another was competing for the beloved spot of a father's love.

Is my idyllic hope lost in our world today? Am I seeking for a paradise which on this earth does not exist?

My Utopia is in acceptance, of me with all my mistakes, of my need to be listened to. My desire to make a bit of difference in my community. My hope to help someone who desperately needs something just to make it through today; through the next meal.

My Utopia is in the smile between two people who are in love, and have fallen into love through times of trial, hardship, happiness, and endurance. My Utopia is in my family; present, future, and past; and in not letting a moment go by without making a memory that will withstand all the trepidation that could temper my soul.

3 comments:

Liz said...

This has to be my all time most FAVORITE photo to have ever been taken by my camera. It was taken about one year ago, at their anniversary dinner with their children and spouses. They were looking at their new H.D. Television and then they looked at each other nad my camera was out and ready. A favorite moment in life - a Utopia.

Heather said...

beautifully written! thanks for your comments!

si tu veux said...

I love that picture as well, I thought you might have taken it. To have been there in that moment.

I am glad that you got to have that experience. It just epitomizes utopia, love, lingering...

It has much favorite going for it. I hope you don't mind my using it here. Love you.

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash