Monday, September 22, 2008

Nap Time with a "Twist"

Upon waking up from my Sunday nap I have been privy to tmi (too much information) about what has gone on while I was asleep.

Sundays are our Movie Nights. This began when Grandpa Lawrence couldn't get out much. We enjoyed a fine dinner each Sunday afternoon, thank you Colleen and Mel, and then watched a movie with Grandpa. Each kid, and adult, took a turn in choosing the movies. Many comments should have been recorded at the watching of these movie choices.

So here I was yesterday evening, minding my own business, asleep in my bed. Brian was intending on waking me for the movie, but "forgot"; likely story.

As I awaken, I hear the pleasant sounds of laughing and talking. I decided to join the fun. Here is what I heard:

"Wow, probably shouldn't tell your mom about that one." (This is Brian, thinking I can't hear them.)

"What one?" I say.

Gavin, "Dad, you're in trouble." (The smirk on Gavin's face says it all, this is going to be fun.)

"Bad movie choice."

Me, ignoring that comment, knowing that Brian and Gavin have left me sleeping WAY too long, I decide to bring up the Standards Night (which the both of them should have been attending at the Stake Center an hour ago, hence Brian suppose to wake me up, hence, trouble for the pair of them.)

Brian, "Oh crap, I totally forgot about that."

Gavin, "I didn't, I remembered at 645, but since mom was still asleep I thought we could sacrifice going."

Brian to Gavin: "We should probably leave mom's nap out of this one." (Good idea).

"So, tell me about the movie."

Brian: "Not the best of choices."

Gavin ratting on his dad, "Well it is PG-13, parents STRONGLY cautioned."

Brian, "Yeah, I probably should have noticed that."

(Ya think.)

Brian, "I thought this was the Oliver Twist Musical, it wasn't."
He is thinking I will leave it at that.

Me: "How many night terrors should we expect tonight."

Brian: " A few, and Gavin will probably want to sleep upstairs on the couch."

Me: "How bad was it?"

Brian, still avoiding any real details: "We sang a lot of Hymns, while I fast forwarded through some parts."

Me: "Was Austin still here?" (Let me introduce Austin: 9 years old, taking the missionary discussions in our home, going to be baptized this Saturday, came over to have some solice on a Sunday afternoon, Austin.)

Brian: "Yeah, he should be fine. But Jeremy was a bit frustrated." (Jeremy frequently reminds Brian and me that we are the parents, PG means parents should know better, and PG 13 means he is not old enough, and we should really know better, i.e. the time we wanted to watch Transformers, and he was huddled under a blanket crying. Then not huddled under a blanket screaming at us, "you are supposed to be responsible for me. This is not an appropriate movie for a 6 year old. PG means parents are suppose to know better. What is wrong with you." Which, being the kind mom I am, I took him to another television and watched Monsters Inc. Really Brian, what is wrong with you?)

Gavin trying to interject here, and Brian saying, "Gavin, you should probably not say anything right now, especially if it has anything to do with certain parts of the movie."

Gavin persisting in his dad's defense: "What about all the movies mom has made me watch. Like the year in Fish Lake when she only brought three movies, Beaches, Steele Magnolias, and Fried Green Apples." (..tomatoes:)) "The mom's all die in those movies, what was she thinking, huh, Dad."

Dad: "Gavin, that's not going to work with mom, I think we should stop talking."

Me: "HOW MANY NIGHT TERRORS ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?"

Brian, "Well, I had the kids close their eyes, we really did sing some great Hymns. It wasn't that bad."

Okay, so isn't Oliver Twist a classic. That was Brian's entire defense. He lost.
I will be picking the next few movies.
Anybody want to watch Dumbo.

2 comments:

Liz said...

So, this is so good and so funny. I have laughed so hard that I am crying. I can only the imagine the trouble those men were in. So much for afternoon naps. I'll watch Dumbo wiht you!
E-mail me that great PG-13 title, I might want to watch it for FHE, since it involves singing Hymns. :O)

si tu veux said...

It is Oliver Twist, but the new version by Roman Polanski (the director of The Piano); and really bad for kids! Sam is reading Oliver Twist, so Brian thought it was a bright idea. ha ha. Brian was remembering some musical version that he wanted to torture Gavin with due to his comments about Mamma Mia (see my post about that one). Hope you enjoy. Love ya, stacie

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash