Monday, August 3, 2009

Apologies!

Mom: Gav, you were suppose to be home at 7 pm for FHE. We are waiting on you, Dad is waiting on us at work to wash and clean out the car for our vacation and to go to Hires Big H for Root Beer Floats.

Gav: Well, Mom, before you say anything else let me apologize. I am so sorry to have kept you waiting. It was very wrong of me to not call. Particularly when I have a cell phone and I should not have caused you to worry. Here's the thing. I am part Lawrence. You know how the Lawrences are. They are always late. It is genetic and I can't do much about it. Proof is that Colleen was even late for her own wedding.
And Dad, well, you know how Dad is. He tries, but he, well, you know....uh, well, he tries. Now you, on the other hand, are Adamson. Adamsons are prompt. They are organized and they are always on time. So you can't really understand the disorder genetically of being late. I feel really sorry for you, Mom, being surrounded by late Lawrences. Now as far as what I got from you, well, I got your good looks. Did I tell you yet how beautiful your eyes are??? I mean, Mom, that shirt makes the green in your eyes POP.
Now, back to the traits that are from the Adamson side, I can only hope that I will have your diligence, your integrity, your divine nature, your honesty, your compassion and love and patience, your talents in making and keeping such wonderful opportunities to help me to grow in abundance.
And, Mom, I know that I had you worried, but you have to remember that I am just a 14 year old boy, and that I suffer from a lack of my own potential, which I plan to grow in to. These experiences will help me to understand my own 14 year old boy someday, and you know Mom, I will learn from you to have patience and understanding and to give him the opportunities, the wonderful opportunity to grow from his mistakes.
Now, you want me to be patient with your grandchildren, right? Because now is the time when I learn and pattern my future reactions by your example. And Mom, I can only hope to have half of your strength and courage as I become a father someday. So, I am thinking of my future children and knowing that the experience that I have had tonight will help me to be more calm, and really, the greatest lesson I will learn is to someday know what it is that I have put you through. I will call you, and thank you, and then allow my son to make decisions that are best for him.
So, I believe that we can talk about this, and that we can move into the future. For it is when you focus on the past that you lose site of your future and that you are unable to see what is right in front of you. So, I think that we should forget the mistakes of the past, and look into the brightness of our future opportunities.
Now, I understand that I have been inconsiderate and worried you and that I had blatant disregard for you and Dad and our family, our family rules and standards, by choosing to skateboard a little longer. Family Home Evening has been such a strong part of my life, my character is built on the foundation and principles that you have taught me during our times together. I honestly was having such a good time forging relationships that will steady my future in High School.
You know, those good friendships that you are always telling me are so important. I was telling my friend about Family Home Evening and how much fun we have. And you always tell me to share the gospel, and this was my chance.
So, can you please forgive me, and somehow look forward and not think of the past for even a moment. I know that I will grow from this, and that we can strengthen our Mother and Son relationship as we move past this hardship into our wonderful future together. I think of what my brothers and sister have learned from my mistake, and what an easier time you will have because they will have learned from me. I am making your future parenting so much easier for you. They will be so wonderful because they will know what heartache that I have caused you and so this will be for good.
Look at the bright side, what a wonderful sunset we are getting to see because I was late and we are driving to Dad's work at a later time and this view is so amazing, yet, seeing you was enough. To know of your love and concern for me.
Mother, being late runs in the family....it is inevitable, although out of respect for you I am willing to give my all to overcome it. Mom, I wouldn't trade you as my mother for the world, you are a great mom, and I do apologize for my blatant disregard for your worrying and your feelings, for causing you such pain, and turmoil, by not calling you.
Mom, Did I mention how your eyes POP with the color of your shirt?*

Me: Gav, it is either your phone or your skateboard.
Which do you want to give up for two weeks?

*apology written mostly from memory
not entirely accurate,
Gavin used much bigger and
more flowery/intelligent words.
Words that even I was
a bit, uh, confused/flattered by.
...about two minutes into the apology
I hit the record button on my phone
and then part of the discipline deal
in only
losing one item;
the skateboard OR the phone,
was that I got to BLOG this!!!


6 comments:

Liz said...

Okay, so while all that he said is so SWEET and truthful I think I would have walked on out, popped him on the mouth, told him to knock it off, something. I probably missed out on some good ones of motherhood. However, a lot of that sure sounded vaguely familiar, so I must have listened and not done any of the above "I thinks"!
You hung around and stuck it out and what a great post it makes. I guess you have to give him credit for the great suck-up. I wonder how long it took him to come up with all of it? Or did it all just flow with ease?
Did he choose the phone or the board?

si tu veux said...

okie...so, yes, so many times I wanted to just stop the flow of sugary sap coming from his trap...however, I was quite entertained, and watching him in the rear view, the smile, the fun that he was having coming up with it.

it was really more of a dramatic joke than anything else. And, what kept me listening is remembering that listening is one of the key concepts in parenting...one I haven't always been good at because I just want them to "zip it". he made me smile, and I needed that right now.

in the long run he knew he wasn't going anywhere with it, but we all had a good laugh, he exercised his on vacation brain, the kids thought their brother was hilarious. i guess he was, i mean i am still reliving the moment and laughing.

he chose the skateboard, sadly. it is his third leg and he wanted to show off to his uncles in Oregon. but considering his social escape being cut off and 13 hours of driving one way....yeah, he chose the skateboard.

si tu veux said...

seeing that comment you know where he gets his rambling from, my genes for sure. ♥

Liz said...

I clearly remembered just a few minutes ago what I use to say when that stuff started, "What do you want" or What did you do".
I guess I stopped all the rest of the story with those two comments...
Sad ~ I don't know. Ask my children who I am sure have the true opinions of my parenting. :O)

Heather said...

again I love to read your blog Stacie, and thanks for posting.

Fish lake looks amazing and what awesome experiences your kids will have -
Life isn't about the Things, but the ExperiencES!
my little motto~

loves,

suzie said...

My head is spinning, it really is...I will have to tell you what he told Kevin, about why he lost his skateboarding privileges...

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash