Saturday, October 17, 2009

Story Care

I am a self proclaimed NPR junkie. My kids know pretty much the ins and outs of the world they live in by the hourly news of NPR. They have come to be very knowledgeable about the world, politics, and people by listening to the blurbs on NPR. Since we spend a lot of time in the car, there is a lot of indoctrination going on. Particularly I love the theatrical portions, the influence of art and theatre and entertainment, book reviews, listening to people opinions is so critical to me as a parent in helping my children to form their own. I love to hear them agree, and I love it more when they disagree, and we have many conversations sparked by the influence of National Public Radio. I think I am partial to it because it is how my Grandmother grew up. Listening to the radio, and the stories she would share with me.

Once she said that her mother, brother and she were listening to a radio show and they were talking about the end of the world. It was frightening for my Great-Grandmother and pretty soon she and the children were hiding in a closet in the home thinking all was coming to an end. Radio shows had such an impact on her in her time because it was their link to the outside world, a world that was big and crazy and scary. Imagine what she would think if she were listening to my daily dose of radio.

I have always felt that it was good to expose my children to parts of life that they will never experience in our home and community. I think it gives them a sense of the larger world they live in and a compassion for others based on an understanding that what they have and how they live is unique in our ever changing and very sad at times world. I also love the celebrations of accomplishment and life. Many times my kids have commented that that persons role in our world is interesting to them, and how do I become what they are. What education will help me have that job.

This all noted one of my favorite portions happens about 815 to 820 every morning. It is called Story Core. Story Core is a portion of NPR that listens to peoples experiences. Most of them are so uplifting and some are heart wrenching, but they are always about the impact and influence that people have had in one anther's lives.

I have decided that I want to have my own Story Core. I want to share my experiences with people in my life. I want to write what they mean to me. This is my online journal. Yes it is full of family antics, and if you are sweet enough to really be reading everything I write then I commend you for your care for me and my family. I would never anticipate that anyone really reads all this. But it is my legacy. It is what I am leaving my posterity. This is who I am. Good or bad depending on the day. I am archiving and printing each entry because I know how vulnerable the worldwide web is and someday this will not even be accessible. I wish that I had the ability to cast in stone my history because I know that paper is fallible and is not going to be much of a historical ancestral record either. If we could go back to etching on stone we would really be preserving our history. However I remember a promise of prophets to us, that if we would record our history that it would be made whole with us, and that promise keeps me willing to write, to take pictures, to make scrapbooks, to write my children often in their journals, to type and type and type.....with faith that all will be preserved, and that this is a crucial part of my own development. Seeing me through my words, and picking the parts I like to keep, and the parts I need to work on....well, being aware of them anyhow.

So, the beginning of my Story Core.....personally changed to be Story Care, will be something that I share here about those who have touched my life...influenced me, and given me hope that I am a worthwhile human being becoming all that I have the potential to be.

There are so many of you. My mind is flooded, and this will not be a record of order, because picking and choosing who and when will be the biggest hurdle for me to overcome in doing this project. I will not want to hurt anyones feelings, and writing them in order will just make me crazy. I am just going to go with my thoughts each day, and when pondering who has impacted my life, those who have loved me, those I have loved and the person that each of you have influenced me to be will be a journey, and will be a blessing to me as I recognize just how blessed I have been.

Story Care....because the Core is that you Care....and your care has made me ME!


Looking forward to where my thoughts take me today....and hopeful that I will follow through with this. My goal is 100 entries, with each one I will be more whole, because in gratitude we heal even the most difficult of our heartaches. In gratitude we find hope, and in hope we find who we are intended to be.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Love you and look forward to all 100 of your entries, your love, and continued healing.

suzie said...

You NPR liberal! :)
Sounds exciting, can't wait.

LeShel said...

BEAUTIFUL. i love NPR!!

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash