Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I saw this on a blog and posted it to my family blog. I also enjoyed someone's rambling about gratitude on theirs. They called it Thankful Thursday. So today, Thursday, became my official day of Thanks this month, in preparation for next weeks celebration of Gratitude. I am thankful, and below the poem I have listed mine ,and a few of my childrens, favorite blessings:

I am thankful for ….


…The mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

…The taxes I pay because it means that I’m employed.

…A lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.

…Dirty dishes in the sink because it means I have enough to eat.

…My shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine.

…The spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.

…All the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.

…My huge heating bill because it means I am warm.

…The lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.

…The piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby.

…The alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I’m alive.

…Weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.

The Lawrence Family Blessing Box favorites:

Me: Thankful to be going to school and having the support of Brian and the kids. (2006)
Gavin: I am glad I am of good health. (2006)
Me: I am happy Grandpa and Grandma called today...Grandpa Cecil feels better. (2005)
Sam: (2004) I am thankful for family, and for church, and my friends that come over.
Jeremy: (2005) I am thankful for my home.
Clarissa: (2006) I am thankful for my wonderful family and for my life and who I am. I love my life.
Aunt Col: Thankful to be an aunt. (2006)
Granny Kathy: Thankful for family and grandchildren and to have Thanksgiving dinner with them. (2007)
Brians Dad: Thankful for Brian and Stacie and their kids. (2003) We are thankful to have this in Grandpa's handwriting, and the memory of thanksgiving with Dad. Miss you Dad.
Me: I am blessed that Brian is so patient with me. (2003)
Brian: Early mornings when the streets are quiet.
Gavin: (2003) grateful for my dad and family.
Gavin: (2007) thankful for the wonderful opportunity to be a part of my family and for the opportunity to earn an education.
Grandpa Cecil and Grandma Nina: (2007) I am thankful that Nina is still with us and that the Lord has enabled me to love her and to care for her. We are thankful for having each one of you as part of our posterity and being able to pass our family heritage on to you.
Grandmother: Thankful to still be alive. (We miss you this year Grandma.)
Mel: Thankful I still have a nose. (the year he had major skin cancer surgery.)
Mel: Thankful for Colleens good mood, even when she is sick.
Jeremy: (2003) Jeremy loves his daddy.
Gavin: (2003) Thankful for freedom.
Brian: Grateful to be able to sit around the table and eat with my family.
Me: I am thankful for Jeremy's smile, Sam's help, Clarissa's sweet notes to me, and Gavin's humor.
Gavin: I am thankful George got a job. (2005)
Clarissa: I am thankful for Grandma Nina and Grandpa Cecil. (2005)
Anonymous: I am thankful for my Heavenly Father.
Brian: I love the cold nights of the winter.
Me: I am thankful Gavin is so tender and for his best hug today.
Brian: I am thankful for my beautiful family. The memories and traditions in the past, and the ones to come. I love talking about the fun times that we enjoy as a family.
Clarissa: I can learn more about Jesus and his commandments as I receive the scriptures. As I follow Jesus my faith grows and I know I can receive answers to my prayers.

What fun each year to pull the blessings out of the box (an old tissue box), and read what has grown gratitude in us. As it sits on the table this year I am anxious for Thanksgiving Day, to read what has stirred and moved our family with Thankfulness. Happy Thanksgiving to you each.

What if everything we didn't give thanks for today was taken from us tomorrow?

C.S. Lewis, "We ought to give thanks for all fortune: if it is 'good', because it is good, if 'bad' because it works in us patience, humility, and the contempt of this world and hope of our eternal country."


1 comment:

LeShel said...

Thanks for the post. We'll be making a box of gratitude this year as we make new traditions as a family. LOVE YOU!

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash