Saturday, October 21, 2006

Book Review - Jonathan Livingston Seagull

I finished reading the book Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I found the strongest message overall was in the statement that Fletcher made in the end to his new students in the beginning of their lessons, "you've got to understand that a seagull is an unlimited idea of freedom, an image of the Great Gull, and your whole body, from wingtip to wingtip, is nothing more than your thought itself." When I read this statement after engaging in the text of the book reflecting on my life and what I have hopes of it struck me....I am nothing more than my thoughts....and that to me was the message of the book. What we believe ourselves to be, no matter if others outcast us, no matter if we fail and make mistakes, in it all it is our thought itself that matters. I really enjoyed reading this book. There were many moments that impacted me; many thoughts that I had to engage and reflect upon during the reading. One was that I must allow others, including my children, to discover for themselves what it is that they dream and love. There is nothing normal or secular in any ones life, we must all decide for ourselves. There is meaning to life, and when others refuse to see then we just need to move on, be content and happy with our individual dreams and live. Love and kindness are essential values and we must be willing to help others out. If we are living our lives and others see that we reflect our values, they will begin to wonder and want to know and learn. That is the way. I loved when Jonathon taught Fletcher to be forgiving of the flock when they outcast him. He said, "Don't be harsh on them, Fletcher Seagull. In casting you out, the other gulls have only hurt themselves, and one day they will know this, and one day they will see what you see. Forgive them, help them to understand." The bottom line for me was then Jonathan said, "Break the chains of your thought, and you break the chains of your body, too..." Fletcher did not truely believe yet, he was tired, but Jonathan kept teaching and encouraging him. I get so discouraged with myself everyday. This book was a really good opportunity to see that there is potential in everything, not giving up and continuing to learn and dream will eventually elevate me to heights that I have yet to discover for myself. I heard a story once about a young boy heard someone say come to the edge and jump, and he said I can not for I will fall. Come to the edge, he was told again and again. And he said again and again, I can not for I will fall. He finally did come to the edge and jumped, and he flew. We all have wings but we have to be willing to come to the edge, to face fear and hardship with determination, only then will we realize that we have wings. This was such a great book. I have given it to my brother to read.

No comments:

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash