Friday, October 13, 2006

Book Review - Constructing a Life Philosophy

One of the most interesting points of view that I enjoyed was Plato, "Are We Living In a Cave?" This was interesting because of the relationship with the idea is age old. A couple of his comments: "prisoners cannot turn their head to discover the true nature of the shadows" "people too quickly accept the first appearance of things" "I don't see how they could see anything else if they were compelled to keep their heads unmoving all their lives" (26-27). As I mentioned they were interesting to me because of the timeless meaning. I began to reflect on how we, as members of an American society, are prisoners if we do not seek to discover the true nature of things. When we accept things at face value, or because "the news" said so, then we are similar to the analogy of living in a cave, in darkness. We, as beings, are destined to believe a great deal of what we are told; as children by their parents, as adults by our politicians, our news media, our bosses. We must decide that we are individuals and that as individuals we should question our existence; potentially everything about our existence. I engaged in the ideas suggested in the book, that even our political leaders, governments, and even parents, are just beings who make decisions and choices based on the experiences and cultures that they were raised in. Chapter 1, viewpoint 1, M. Scott Peck, Choosing a Map For Life, he poses the ideas that we perceive and respond to the world which is developed in childhood, and appropriate for childhood, then goes on to suggest that: "Our national leaders are human beings who all had childhoods and childhood experiences that shaped them" (23) One statement in the introduction by George Santayana eluded to the fact that if we do not gain knowledge and understanding of where we came from we are destined to repeat the mistakes of the past, "Those who do not remember history are condemed to repeat it" (37) I would like to add that history is just his story, what about her story, and why do we put so much stock in "stories". I believe there is much to be learned by the stories of the past, but first we must begin to question the realities of what we are told. To be open to others understandings and to re-create our existence by finding purpose in our individual and unique interests. There are far more than two sides to every story. I really did not find myself disagreeing with much, because I read it with a truly open mind, understanding that I did not need to defend my beliefs to engage in another’s. I found myself fascinated by the overall process of participating in so many different philosophies. 5 STARS - A great read!!!

No comments:

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash