Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Temporally Out of Control

"'Having food and raiment let us be therewith content.'—Why another farm, another herd of sheep, another bunch of cattle, another ranch? Why another hotel, another cafe, another store, another shop? Why another plant, another office, another service, another business? Why another of anything if one has that already which provides the necessities and reasonable luxuries? Why continue to expand and increase holdings, especially when those increased responsibilities draw one's interests away from proper family and spiritual commitments, and from those things to which the Lord would have us give precedence in our lives? Why must we always be expanding to the point where our interests are divided and our attentions and thoughts are upon the things of the world? Certainly when one's temporal possessions become great, it is very difficult for one to give proper attention to the spiritual things." - Spencer W. Kimball, "Conference Report," October 1953, Second Day—Morning Meeting, p.54

Why another word...enough said!

3 comments:

Liz said...

What a beautiful reminder of some of the great words of President Kimball.
Thanks,
Love you so much,
Aunt Liz

LeShel said...

simplify..... guess they've been saying it for years.

steveroni said...

More than enough words said--at the risk os sounding, well...UNhumble--

Cheryl, I have to say that my life has somewhat tended going in that direction of moving away from the temporal crap, and into the spiritual (AGE has something to do with this, I'm guessing).

Most hours of the day, I have that "connection, with my God (more often with my angel Flex--because I know him real well!).

I remember that our program (and I tell lots of people this during a given day) "God could and would if He were sought." It doesn't say "caught!" This tells me I do not need great KNOWLEDGE of Him...just great LOVE for Him, and for everything He has made, which IS....everything.

Gosh, now I have said enough.

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash