Friday, February 6, 2009

Jeremy's School Performance - 2nd Grade

Today I went to school with the kids to see Jeremy perform in his class play. The play is a conglomerate of many different disciplines. The children usually pick from literature a book to base their play on. Then using the dialogue of the book and their imagination they become the characters of the discipline and act out the storyline with theatrical narrative, song, dance, instrument, and original artwork.

Jeremy's class play was spectacular, and every word I needed to hear right now. I thought I would share the transcript, amazing to me that our children get to participate in such events, and as a whole family we benefit from bits of their educational experience.



"If at first you don't succeed try, try again."
"Success doesn't come to you... you go to it"
"Success is a journey not a destination."
"Choice not circumstances, determine your success."

"Success comes before work only in the dictionary."

All children: What is success?


kid 1: Is it having great toys?
kid 2: Is it winning medals?
kid 3: Or having friends of your choice
kid 4: Success is much more
kid 5: than these kinds of things
kid 6: There is nothing like the feeling
kid 7: that true success brings!

Teacher: So what is success? That's easy to see. It's trying to be the best you can be!
Don't worry what others might have or might say. When trying your best, success comes your way.

kid 8:

So listen closely

kid 9:
as we share and we teach

kid 10:
The clues that we'll give you

kid 11:
put success in your reach

kid 12:
Each value will add

kid 13:
To your personal best

MY KID:
WATCH AND DISCOVER

[which he said THAT loud,
and is dressed in a worker ant costume]


ALL KIDS:
The Building Blocks of SUCCESS!

The Ants part: [my kid, too]

We may be small, that's very true
But we succeed, and so can you.
We move a mountain, bit by bit.
It takes HARD WORK, we never sit.

We work and work thoughout the day
My work comes first before I play

Success is yours, please understand
When you and WORK go hand in hand.

Enter the Monkeys:

My friends are like my family
I share with them, they share with me
Respect your friends in all you do.
And they'll give back respect to you.

You'll find success if this you learn
The gift of FRIENDSHIP must be earned.

To make a friend I do believe.
That you yourself a friend must be.

Enter the bees:

I'm one of millions in our hive
It looks confused as we all strive
We buss around throughout the day
COOPERATION's our sweet way.

Work as one in all you do
When you help others, they'll help you
Seek to know what someone needs.

Then Pitch right in and you'll succeed!

Enter FISH:

If success is your great goal.
You must practice self control
Use common sense in all you do
Controlling emotions is helpful too.

I knew a fish who took the bate
Good judgment gone, the hook he ate

My friend was fried upon the grill,
With SELF-CONTROL he'd be here still.


Enter Squirrels:

I scurry around and round each day
Taking action is my way.
I get up and go and give it my all.
When actions needed I never stall.

And when I look for lunch to eat
I'm not afraid to risk defeat.
Don't fear failure,
Try your best,
Take some ACTION for success.


Enter Spiders:

To weave a web demands great skill,
and snaring lunch is quite a thrill.

Practice makes my web grow finer
I'm a top-notch web designer

I pay attention to each detail
I do it right so I won't fail.

I learned my skill through hours of drill
To find success you must have SKILL.



This amazing play ended with a song and dance,
and the kids chanting how each
of these building blocks are the recipe for success.

I needed to hear this,
I think I had forgotten some of these
critical secrets to success,

which is why I share them with you all.

Hope in some small way,
they brighten and cheer up your day!

Hard work, Friendship, Cooperation, Self-Control, Action, Skill.

May you have a
SUCCESSFUL HAPPY


day!

5 comments:

suzie said...

Thank you,
I needed that today too.
I am feeling like the fish...

LeShel said...

good reminder -- hits the spot.

Liz said...

Sounds like it was fun and good.
WAY TO GO JEREMY!!!

Heatherlyn said...

The play sounds really good. It's great that he was able to be a part of something so meaningful. :)

Christie Gardiner said...

I've never heard of a school play like that! Wonderful!

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash