Saturday, January 24, 2009

a little nerdie




I love the scouting program.
Wednesday night Gavin had a court of Honor.
I am so thankful that grown men will share feelings and thoughts that i am quite certain i would not get into my sons head alone. Thank you leaders.


the scoutmasters minute was so thoughtfully said.

I will write in first person, as he spoke it, but it is not verbatim.
"I was married a couple of years ago.
My father in law is a biologist.
I have always listened to him talk about biology things that are just a little nerdy. Most recently he has shared with my wife and I about bird watching.

Sound a little nerdy...probably because it is.

You get your little book of birds, your old tape recorder of bird sounds, your binoculars and you watch...For birds. Thats it.

You look for their colors, their flight patters, listen for their songs.
Yep, nerdy.

Well recently I learned something about this.
I went to a campground this past summer. We hiked, we played, we camped.
It was awesome.

Later in the year we were assigned to do a bird watch at the very same campground. Yep, me, a bird watch.

Sound a little nerdy. Yep.

I got my book of birds, I got a tape recorder of bird sounds, and I got my binoculars and we went back to that same campground.

And do you know what. We looked for birds.

And do you know what. WE FOUND BIRDS.

Yep, and guess what else. I had the most amazing time, a much better time than I ever had before.

I had something I was looking for and I found it.
What I learned from that experience is the same in life.

If you know what you are looking for, you WILL FIND IT.

As is with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
He has given us a bit of instruction, and a way to find Him, and if you look for Him in life, you will find Him.



Whatever you look for in life, you will find."


Amen to that.

I don't mind being a little nerdie once in a while.
It looks good on me. And it feels good in me.

6 comments:

suzie said...

Er, we need to talk. Little nerdie once in a while? When you married the Commander in Chief Nerd, you became the First Nerd Lady. Oh, I kill myself, and I bet you want to kill me too!!! Love ya!

si tu veux said...

Very funny sister. and i mean VERY funny....reaction to my little nerdie post. I thought it was sweet, me...being a sweet spirit....but YOU make it funny. thanks.

Liz said...

I love all your blogs. They are good for me.
Love you,
Aunt Liz

Heatherlyn said...

Love the pictures! And the message was great. (Sometimes we get the most out of the "nerdy" things.)

Heatherlyn said...

Love the pictures! And the message was great. (Sometimes we get the most out of the "nerdy" things.)

Proudfeet said...

That is so sweet! And I love your pictures! We are the Webelos leaders in our ward, and what a great perspective to have and use with Scouts!

my happiness!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile
“You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences.” ~Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

COURAGE to HEAL

COURAGE to HEAL
awarded by amysplash